Sunday, March 4, 2012

7 miles....times two!

It was the tale of two runs:

Yesterday - met my running group at Town Lake and we initially thought we were running 5 miles. That turned out to be 6.6! But hey I felt great, the girls (and Mark!) are always fun to run with and I felt nice and rested after Wednesday's 7 mile loop. We ran the Scenic loop, and man those hills!!! That might have been the first thing that foreshadowed what today might be like....I was really sore after Megs and I shopped all day!! But I did get some couch time last night, watching my beloved Dukies and then the Longhorns each get hammered. Blech.

I'm always happy when I'm shopping with the Fashionista....


Today - I woke up out of sorts, and did my 3rd trip to the "library" in 8 hours. That was a omen I won't ignore again. Got to Town Lake and was stalling, it was cold, I was tired and I was irritable. Only another runner will understand me when I say I NEEDED to run. I did not WANT to run! It was a good thing I stalled, as nature called with a vengeance and I got a good sprint to the men's room in. TMI, I know! I felt OK afterwards, and I knew I was well hydrated. The fact I had to stop at 3 Porta Janes in 7 miles confirmed that!

This was one of the toughest, most mentally grueling runs I've done this year. It was no fun at all, but some runs are like that. I liken it to the last 10K of a Marathon - I am grumpy, I hate running and I want to quit. But I can't, and so I didn't. I was tired, yes. My legs were sore as hell, yes. But I was not in pain, and I knew I needed the mental toughness test to see if I could finish. In about 7 weeks I will find out if I am running New York this year, in November. If I am, I see a LOT of runs like this in my future. It takes what it takes.

I look exactly like I felt. Like Shit.


Was it worth it? Yes. Do I feel the endorphins and the thrill of another run completed? Fuck no.