Saturday, September 24, 2011

4.2 miles of bliss....


I did my 4.2 mile loop at Town Lake tonight and loved it! Ok, the first half mile sucked. But only mildly. It was 97 degrees outside, and I was grateful my cycling has me acclimated to exercising in the heat. This is not something to do without easing into it, that's for sure!
The trail was wonderfully empty, and anyone that runs or walks the trail knows that is not often the case. While I don't normally mind dodging and weaving through the dogs, kids, (hot women), bikes and hot women, it was amazing tonight. The sun was setting and sparkling off the lake (actually a part of the Colorado river) and the lighting was so cool. I don't always run with my iPod ( I used to think of myself as a "pure" runner. Snob more like it.), but lately I have. It takes extra awareness - no sudden moves to the left or blind turns - mountain bikers on the trail have a way of coming out of no where! But I find I can get lost in a song, or really fired up and start picking up the pace. Slower songs help me ease up and relax. And tonight I was in that groove. I passed a woman in pink with pigtails - thank you God - and we exchanged that goofy grin you have when you are in the running zone. One of those runs that I hated to get to the end of. I have learned to really stop time in moments like this - because they are the exception to the ordinary. Many times I will curse that last 1/2 mile - but not today. Today I feel alive, serene.
On the drive home I thought to myself "Hmmm, Saturday night and everyone is in such a hurry to get where they are going". I glanced at the speedometer (my 'serenity meter') and saw I was in the middle lane doing 60 in a 65 mph zone. Life is good.