Friday, September 23, 2011

On turning 53 today....

Birthdays are always a big deal to me, and I am not secretive about the fact that I like people making some fuss over mine. I never thought when I was younger - say in my 30's - that I would make it this far. And back then I was living a lifestyle that almost guaranteed I would not. But here I am, 53 today! (Technically, not until 7:15am)

Today I was reading one of my favorite all time books - a (autographed by the author!) copy of  The Runner's Guide to the Meaning of Life by Amby Burfoot (Winner of the 1968 Boston Marathon). In the chapter "Materialism" he makes the point very eloquently in the chapter subtitle -  "What I need, I already have". My wants are never met, and my needs are seldom unmet these days. I have a roof over my head. I have food and clothing. I have clean drinking water. I am rich beyond the comprehension of millions of people in this world, and I try to be content. I have high quality problems today. And I'm grateful - most of the time.


I constantly have to remind myself that I don't have to measure my success by what I HAVE, but on what I AM. Many, many men have more possessions than I do, and are not half as happy as I am. It all comes down to being content with what I have and not focusing on what others have. A man in a neighborhood convenience store where I (ironically enough) buy the occasional lottery ticket told me once..."focus on the man who has less than you do and you will be content - focus on the man that has more and you never will be..." or words to that effect. So true.


I recently started running again and have little doubt that like most things I do, I will try to maintain some semblance of sanity and balance with it. And I also have little doubt that I will "fail" at that! Fail is such a fucked up word. Nothing attempted is really failed at all. It's just a matter of perspective. Striving for a goal is to reach a goal in a sense, to not become complacent and uncaring. My main goal is to enjoy the running again, and so far it has wildly exceeded my expectations. To feel my body in motion in the simplest of all physical activity is to return to a part of my nature and my evolutionary DNA. As The Boss (who shares my birthday by the way!) said so wisely..."Tramps like us, baby we were born to run". I will keep cycling also, that is going to remain a passion I'm sure, and so far the running just complements it so well.


My first "goal" organized race will be the 21st Annual ThunderCloud Subs Turkey Trot - five miles through downtown Austin on Thanksgiving morning! 




I'm excited about blogging again too - it's so cathartic for me. I have done this many times - and deleted every blog at some point. I have to admit - I really don't write for anyone but myself and the act of writing itself does so much for me. If you enjoy this blog, awesome. At the very least I hope to share a bit of myself with anyone interested....

Ala "Bridget Jone's Diary" - here are the "vital" stats:

Marital status - single 
Sex - M. I haven't "F'd" in quite a while.
Height - 5' 10" 
Weight - 204
Job - Senior Systems Analyst ( AKA Computer DORK) Oracle since 2004
Love life - nonexistent. 
Spirituality - alive and well.
Friends - I have all I need, but willing to accept applications.
Daughter - Happy, healthy and kicking ass in high school.
Bike - 2011 Specialized Tarmac Comp (Compact)
Running shoes - 2010 Asics Kayano Gel 17's