Saturday, September 24, 2011

Spinning for Texas Wildfire Victims



Today was fun! Normally I go for a ride with one of several different cycling clubs in the area on Saturdays, but today I opted to do a 2 hour spin class by the outdoor pool at LifeTime Fitness. When I arrived at about 8:30am, I heard rumblings that no one had taken the spin bikes outdoors. Oops. Kinda tough to have an outdoor spin class without spin bikes! 

Along with about 5 others that were there, we jumped in and started rolling the bikes from the upstairs studio to the elevator. A rugby class (indoors!) jumped in to help and before you know it we had moved over 30 bikes outdoors and set up our "studio". Three of the best (IMHO!) spin instructors took turns leading the class, and it was INTENSE! Lucky for us all the temps had cooled off some, it was about 65-70 when we started and it really went up fast. All 3 instructors have different styles and different musical tastes, so we had some great tunes to help motivate us. Knowing we were doing some small thing to help all the local fire victims helped too. After all, they are still rebuilding their lives, and will be for a long time.

I had planned on doing a run outside after the class, but it really took much more out of me than I anticipated. Discretion being the better part of valor, I'm going to wait until the sun starts to set tonight....and see how I feel then. If I were 35, I'd be all over it...53 is a big difference!