Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Art of Racing in the Rain - I hope!


Hopefully I can shake off my usual pre-race dread and remember that I actually LIKE running in the rain - and so I have decided to run the Austin Reindeer Run Sunday! It's pretty last minute but I have recovered from last weekend's race so well I want to give this one a shot. I'm going to shoot to run this in under 30 minutes, which will require me to run pretty damn hard compared to the pace I ran last weekend - a full 2 minutes per mile faster average. But hey, it's only 5K (3.1 miles) and the 5K is SUPPOSED to be painful. It always amazes me just how long 3.1 miles can be when you are running at a fast pace. And what a great workout it really is.

I nixed heading downtown tonight to see the Bodeans since the weather was horrible (it's been raining for what seems like a week) and I was itching to run. So I headed to LifeTime and I'm really glad I did! The weather has really been getting to me - I slept late today! Woke up feeling so lazy. At times like this I don't let myself think much, I just start getting my clothes ready and head out.

I warmed up with my Trigger Point stretches and then - since my iPod shuffle battery was dead (!) I hit the stationary bike first. The new ones at the gym are so cool - they have a power cord you can connect your iPod to, with a separate headphone jack. Really convenient and it charges while you ride! Then I hit the treadmill for a 5K run that went really well, I pumped up the pace and felt strong tonight. Hard to believe I ran a 13.1 mile race 4 days ago! Then I hit the elliptical for a fun hour and finished with a nice soak in the empty (yay!) hot tub.

Here at work and I see I can pick up my packet for the race in the morning when I get off work and register then. I'm excited, haven't raced a 5K in years! Even though the forecast is for rain, I'm not going to let that deter me. After all, 3M or the Austin Half could also get rain and I will have to run those, the entry fees are paid and that is WAY too much $ to forfeit!

Race report to follow! Here is a great picture from Decker....not sure what part of the course this is....I normally hate my race pics but I bought this one in a 8X10 for my shrine to myself....lol!

Smiling so it must have been downhill! I think this was at about mile  9!