Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Over thinking everything, par for the course

The awesome medal for the Austin Half (on right). Feb 29th. Hope I still have 2 legs!
This injury thing is really fucking with my head. I alternate between thinking I can't run a mile and thinking they will have to amputate the freaking leg.

After last Saturday's awesome run, I made another attempt on the dreadmill that I think was too soon. The calf was on it's way to another cramp/pull/whateverthefuckitis, so I cut it short at 3.5 miles. That was Monday morning after my last ART session with Dr Wagenblast. At least till next month, unless there is some major catastrophe Sunday in the half marathon.

I'm thinking (see, there I go again) that I will keep the pace slow like I did Saturday and if I get to the 7 mile point safely I might gradually increase the speed a little, but only on the downhill stretches. If things are good, I am NOT going to take any huge risks. Time is out the window, and believe me that is no small issue for me. I'm much more competitive than I ever want to admit, and it will kill me to get chicked and dicked the entire race. No, those are not sexual terms, just what I call it when women pass me and men pass me respectively. It helps to find humor when you are sucking hind tit. I am just praying that there is someone slower than me. Anyone. Ruben Stoddard passes me in this thing and I will so quit running forever till next week again.

Last night I did some treadmill work and walked/jogged a little on the dreadmill. Nothing drastic as things still felt tight and sore. Now I plan to ease into the weekend and not do anything that might hurt the calf at all. I have no fear about the distance, as long as I can run through any cramps I get....and I think I can. The real problem is trusting that the ART is working and I still need to do it. I know it will be really cold Sunday - the forecast is for like 38 at the start, so a good warmup will be essential. Four days and counting till race day. Time to watch "Without Limits" again and to start psyching myself up for a epic Decker Challenge. They are always memorable!