Saturday, December 10, 2011

Last minute pre-race jitters!

I actually love them! Ok, not the worries about that-part-of-the-anatomy which will remain nameless, but the normal jitters are a part of anything exciting. I think it's usually more excitement than nerves, but then again I'm usually not worried about injury. This is a whole new ball game! I've learned so much, it's all a part of this wonderful hobby - the one that is other sport's punishment! lol

The race has cool new tech T's that are not pieces of crap - but per my usual rule I won't wear it until I earn it - by finishing. Which I will do if I have to crawl 13.1 miles. I have 4 hours to finish, thank God there are fools that are running TWO laps of this thing. Superhuman. One article I read said this is now THE toughest race on the Austin race schedule, and having finished this twice, I agree.

Weather is ALWAYS a factor at Decker. Tomorrow is not "that bad" lol...temp at start is projected to be 41, with a 10% chance of rain. No real wind to speak of, so that is a BIG plus. There always seems to be a headwind at this race for the first 5 mile stretch before the first turn....I'll take colder and even rain if we can go without major wind! I warm up fast, so I'll be more than ready to drop my sweatshirt (old!) outer layer when we hit the clothes drop at 2 miles. I doubt I will wear any pants, those are just hell to get off over shoes. Not that I care about losing any time, mind you, but I'd probably overheat. I read somewhere you should dress for 10 degrees over the start temp, and that's a good rule of thumb for me.

More tomorrow post race. Time to catch a movie and get my brain on something else!