Wednesday, January 4, 2012

2012 starts off with a whimper...

The Calf, it bit me in the ass again. I was so excited last Wednesday to be back on the Brushy Creek trail for a short (planned) 5 mile run. The calf felt great and I was coming off a good Saturday long run of 7 miles. I had no cause for concern...until I got about 1 1/2 miles in and the familiar stiffening started again. I still did not panic, since this has been the norm for every run since it happened. Usually it has stretched out and I've been OK after that. I was running a bit faster than I had been, about 10 min/mile pace. Snail slow compared to....well fuck that comparison. It's not 2008 anymore.

So going across the dam at Brushy Creek Lake, it finally totally locked up just like it did on the Turkey Trot. Only faster. I was able to stretch it out and finally hobbled to the 2 /12 mile point, then headed back. I had to stop again and stretch it, and then I was able to jog it back to the car, VERY slowly. In a panic, I called Dr Wagenblast to see if I could get in the next day. No such luck, full and closed Friday.

Fast forward to Monday, saw the doc. Mild strain this time, and I finally had to admit I have not been doing my exercises, and that is not good! So I went to his free Trigger Point stretching class that night, and got it back on track. He was really patient with me as always, and helped me realize I may need to ALWAYS stretch with Trigger Point before and after runs, and ice the calf. It works, so I'm not going to mess around with what works. Twice a day as a minimum!

After my visit I did a slow 4 mile run at Town Lake and although a bit stiff, the calf held up OK. Monday night I hit the gym, as well as Tuesday. I need to get this extra weight off:

All I can say is this is going to motivate me to get that weight off!

This weekend I'm hoping to be back with Austin Fit for my long run. Praying even!

Discovered this gem on a movie (Fever Pitch) soundtrack....love it!