Tuesday, January 31, 2012

3M in the books...next!

Can't wait to add this one Feb 19th!


This year was the 4th time I've run the 3M Half Marathon, and again I was reminded why it is the best race in Austin! This year I met about 6-7 members of my Austin Fit training group to run the race with them. I was so glad later that I did! The plan was to go out with them for the first 10K and then decide if I wanted to crank it up any. And just the opposite happened.

The start was COLD! around 38 I am guessing. I was glad I wore my Nike cold weather tights, at least at first. It did not take me long to shed my throw-away sweatshirt (they eventually get donated to Goodwill!) as I always warm up quickly. Not even 1/2 mile and off it came! I had some throw away gloves that lasted to the 1 mile marker. The start was really a letdown, since our group lined up WAY at the back. Could not hear the star-spangled banner, the announcer, the start, nothing! We just started running as the masses ahead of us took off. Smooth but in some ways I missed the excitement of starting in the middle of the pack. It did not take long for our group to split up. Two ladies we knew were running for time were the first to go, leaving 4 of us...Mark, our pace group leader from A.F., an older guy named Gary and myself with Tiffany. We all met Tiffany's fiancee before the start, really nice guy who it would turn out we'd see 3 more times! Tyron I believe his name was.

Not to quibble, but I was annoyed at our pacer. He was going out too fast, running faster than the 11 min/mile pace I thought he was going to lead....which is what we trained at. It proved to be too much for Tiffany, who was really having difficulty breathing. I decided at the 3 mile mark to stay with her for moral support. I felt so badly for her, she was tough though and stuck it out. Her fiancee met us along the course a couple more times and at the finish, which was cool. He had to do some real scrambling to get around the course with so many roads closed off!!

I felt really strong, but the slower pace did take a toll on my hamstrings, since I was not striding out the same. I adapted overall so it was cool, and I was glad to be able to help encourage Tiffany to finish. She was really grateful and that was nice. I've had runners do it for me - pace me in on a bad day - and I know how it can help. It was time to pay it forward. No regrets at all, it helped really make it a special race....

Great photo ops at the finish line, can't wait to see the pics with the Capital in the background! Super nice medal, best yet.

Helped Dennis put up some siding on his house later in the day. Megs helped with some painting, we ate some dinner and then I took her home.

Next up is the Austin Half Marathon, the last race in the Austin Distance Challenge! This one is flat the first 7 miles, then some killer hills come. I am ready, and excited!!! This will be a huge race, as it's run in conjunction with the Austin Marathon. I will add pics as I get them!!