Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Life is fragile...


Today I read a story about a man that reminded me once again how fragile life can be. This poor soul backed over his two year old son and the boy died. I cannot even imagine his pain and the depth of the despair he must be feeling. I do know stories like this touch me profoundly. No parent should ever outlive his or her child, but to be involved personally in an accident like this has to torment someone the rest of their life.

It's one of the oldest - and therefore probably one of the most true cliches - that life is fleeting. None of us are guaranteed another moment. I don't have a lot of "Geez, I wish I had done such-and-such thing" thoughts at my age, because I tend to live very much in the moment. Some of the things I've done turned out quite badly, some very well, but I don't have many regrets. I think every experience I have had helps me to be the person I am today. I'm not jaded about love, even though people with better "track records" than mine are. I would rather err on the foolish side of Love than on the careful side. In one of my favorite movies, "Meet Joe Black" Bill Parish tells his daughter (Anthony Hopkins to Claire Forlani)

"Love is passion, obsession, someone you can't live without. I say, fall head over heels. Find someone you can love like crazy and who will love you the same way back. How do you find him? Well, you forget your head, and you listen to your heart. And I'm not hearing any heart. Cause the truth is, honey, there's no sense living your life without this. To make the journey and not fall deeply in love, well, you haven't lived a life at all. But you have to try, cause if you haven't tried, you haven't lived."

I could not agree more. If there is something you have never done, and you've always wanted to do it, my suggestion is do it now. You may not have a tomorrow to do it in....