Wednesday, October 5, 2011

2011 Distance Challenge - Here I come!




I've been really encouraged by how fast I recovered from Sunday's race, so I've decided to bite off a really big challenge - The Austin Fit Magazine Distance Challenge! This is a series of five races that began with the IBM 10K. I'm fairly sure that I will place dead last in my age group, but that really does not matter. In every race I ran, there was always only one person to beat - myself. I love overcoming the mental - and physical - challenges.

So the races themselves are all doable I believe - I only wish I could commit to the Austin Marathon. But there is definitely too little time left to train, so I'll run the Austin Half Marathon instead - it still counts towards the Distance Challenge. Here's the Distance Challenge rundown:

Runners Benefits - Improved for the 2011-12 Series
All registered participants will receive:
A custom printed long sleeve tech running shirt.
One Year FREE membership in ARC (non ARC members)
Use of the Austin Distance Challenge tent found at the finish area of each race. There will be beverages, special premiums and other fun stuff.
Invitation to the Celebration Party in March.
All participants who complete the series will receive:
– A custom printed runners jacket
– A Completion Certificate
– Additionally, trophies will be presented for Overall, Masters and Age Groups in 5-year increments, both M and F. Trophies will be presented for both the Full and Half Track Series options.


The races:

IBM Uptown Classic 10k - October 2, 2011 (Completed in 1 hr 47 secs)

Run for the Water 10 Miler - October 30, 2011
ARC Decker Challenge Half Marathon - December 11, 2011
3M Half Marathon & Rellay - January 29, 2012
Livestrong Austin Marathon & Half Marathon - February 19, 2012


Damn I'm excited about doing this!