Saturday, October 8, 2011

The Joy of Racing in the Rain....





Today I was able to do something really rare in Texas this year - run in the rain! I was at the gym by 8:30 to warm-up for spin class and got in a quick 15 minutes on the elliptical. My favorite Spin instructor - Kari - was on the schedule. Once again she was a no show. I can't even count any more how many Saturdays I've gone there looking forward to her class and then bam! I get someone that I really don't care for. There are just some instructors I don't click with. I don't like being yelled at, or someone with a shrill voice that plays music too loud and then tries to shout over it. But that's just me. To each his own. Suffice it to say I was not 'feeling' the class, so I packed it in and headed down to Town Lake. It was a great idea, even though it was overcast and very, very humid. I was actually hoping for rain, and on the last mile of my long run for this week - I got it!
I had planned on running the long run on Sundays, but today I just felt it and wanted to go longer than I have so far. The 6.9 mile loop (and the 1/10th to the car to get in 7!) is perfect....takes you out on a more remote section of the trail which I like. They also added another cold water station so that is a huge plus.

The hills today were really challenging, and of course the legs were not 100%, but I mentally enjoyed the run. Two days since I ran last and I was itching to get out there. Megs was helping her mom move into a new place, so I was able to relax with no time crunch to get anywhere. The trail has a new section planned that will add a 'boardwalk' on the section of the trail that is 'missing' - technically that is. The course veers off onto Riverside drive for a section of that loop and it's less than ideal scenery. I've seen some artist renderings of the new section and it really will be cool when it's done. Austin has a real treasure in Town Lake - families picnic - there is a dog park section, people walk, run, and bike the trail....it's just fantastic. Add to that the fully supported cold water stops, and what more can you ask? They continue to add improvements to different areas, and it just keeps getting better!

Highlight of today's run - the total downpour at the last mile! I also was running along Riverside drive, zoning completely out, when on the shuffle came 'Even Angels Fall" one of my favorite songs. The lyrics shook me awake - "You're on the ride, you might as well open your eyes"...and I looked to my right and saw this totally awesome graffiti on an entire wall. Graffiti in this town is treated like art in some areas, and it really was gorgeous. I'll try to get downtown and get a pic someday soon and add it to this post. The words to the song made me laugh, and open my eyes and see the beauty I almost missed. I love it when that happens, total serendipity!