Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Less time online, more time in real life...

I often think about what life was like before the internet. You know, it wasn't really that long ago. What a wonderful thing the internet seemed at the time! A wealth of information at your fingertips....and I'm not denying what a useful tool it really is. After all, I'm typing this only because there IS a internet to put it out onto...

No doubt the internet is useful for students, and for anyone else in search of knowledge also. However, in the search for truth, don't believe everything you read. Modern spin masters could make Hitler a popular history figure if there was enough money in it for them. To truly believe something you read on the net (or anywhere else for that matter!) you have to at some point trust the source(s). That is where my gut instinct really helps me I think. Today the people that deliver the news to us are no longer impartial and objective - they are a commodity and can be bought and sold like never before. It does not take long for hidden agendas to surface, just as it does with people. Let someone talk long enough and the truth comes out.

I guess this is just my pissing into the wind rant - and a wish for a simpler time when we connected more as humans than Facebook "Friends". When we wrote letters instead of hitting the Like button.

I'm doing a bit more than just ranting. I pared my cable waaayyyy back, cutting my bill neatly in half. Cut my Friends list on Facebook back to people I have actually met. I'm getting out of my apartment more, to book shops, movies, running, coffee shops I've seen and never gone into.

Living in the now, and feeling more serene than ever. Trying to only post the occasional FB update, I bet most of my friends can appreciate me not posting my every thought. That's what this blog is for! :O)

Now, I need to get back to work. Break time is over, and rant time is too!