Sunday, November 6, 2011

Second A.R.T. session tomorrow


Tomorrow will be my second session with Dr. Wagenblast in Round Rock. I've been a good boy with my take home stretching techniques, and I have to say they are really helping me heal quickly. I have no doubts I'll have a good run come next Sunday. That alone makes it all worth while.

I had heard of Active Release Techniques before, just that it was basically painful. I really can't deny that, but once the doc explained to me the reasoning behind the techniques - which use pressure on pain points to break up scar tissue and aid correct healing - it was more bearable. The home techniques I've been using with my roller and tennis balls (jus' playin wit my balls 2-3 times a day) have made me a believer. They were a little confusing at first, but with the notes he sent me home it was not that tough to master. Today I'm climbing stairs pain free, which really helps when you are on the 3rd floor!

Had a nice weekend with Megan, we saw Tower Heist Friday night and really loved it. Very funny! It's just so good to spend time with her, and watch how she is growing up! She's tackling Wuthering Heights in Pre-AP English, bought her a book with a genealogy that I hope helps her. Nothing quite so good as seeing your child apply herself in school.

So tonight, I'm going to watch a little football, eat some dinner and clean up the place some. The things I do when I am NOT obsessing about running. This injury has forced me to sit back, relax and just look forward to that first run. No way have I even thought about jeopardizing my recovery by running against Dr's orders!

I did get up early this morning and watched Universal Sport's online "coverage" of the New York City Marathon. It's on my bucket list now! Much hillier than I thought it was, which no doubt taught Mary Keitany a thing or two about starting too fast. Gutsy race though, I have to hand it to her. And Mutai was simply incredible, at 20 miles he simply ran away from the competition. If you want to call anyone his competition. Course records at Boston and NYC have never been set in the same year by the same runner until his win today. Damn impressive.

Anyone want to run it with me? All we have to do is enter a lottery and get really lucky!