Sunday, November 13, 2011

The sun always rises the next day...


Today my mental state is so much better than yesterday, at least as far as THE CALF goes. Lord, it feels like all I think about, this calf. Might sound like it but this too shall pass!

I woke up and it (THE CALF of course!) felt much better, I can walk pretty well today. A little limp, but not enough to stop me from getting Sunday Bagels and milk. I can't live without either! I have learned to love 2% moo juice, but that took years really. I was raised on the real stuff.

Yesterday my running career was totally over for the year, today I'm thinking rationally once again. Dr Wagenblast told me things would be really sore, and I did take his advice to roll it out before yesterdays run...and to ice it after. Thank God for Advil, so the pain was bearable. It was that nagging, feel every nerve in your body kind of pain by the time I drove home from the run.

There were some real positives from yesterday! I was able to run with my group, and although I don't know many people that well yet (after only 4 runs together no shock there) they are friendly and I feel very welcome there. I got a lot of high fives as everyone knew I was hurt, yet still hung in for the distance. I talked to a couple of new guys that were dropping down to a slower pace group to deal with injuries, something I just might have to try at some point. My new plan of action is to continue with ART, do my strengthening exercises, and when I can run again, start short distance and add miles as quickly as I feel safe doing. I know from the run Saturday that my overall fitness is fine, I was up in zone 5 heart rate for MUCH of that very hilly run. Especially the first 4 miles or so. If not for the calf I felt like I could have ran all day.

I also - even despite the soreness and pain (alternated!) - was able to enjoy being outside running again!
The weather was perfect!

So Monday it's back to see the doc and get back on track with the therapy. I know by the amazing improvement over yesterday that it is truly helping. Later today I plan to get outside and go for a walk on a wooded trail nearby. I don't want my weight getting away from me while I can't run, and knowing me that could easily happen!