Monday, November 7, 2011

Some days I'm a total Gym Rat...


I have spent literally hours at my gym for a single workout before, for one simple reason. I love it! Some days, and I never can know exactly when those will be, I grow a tail and turn into a gym rat. Tonight was one, and it was really special.

I feel Catholic here - but oh well - it was last Tuesday since my last workout! This calf tear has healed so well I am seriously freaking amazed. Today I was climbing the stairs to my 3rd floor apartment, and there was not the slightest twinge of pain. Even after my 2d real A.R.T. treatment at noon. It went so well, I'm totally psyched. I already knew from the stretching I've been doing that the major knot that was there one day post 10 mile race last Sunday was gone. But Dr. Wagenblast confirmed it today, and gave me the green light to hit the elliptical for the first time in a week. I have another treatment Weds morning, and then I'll run my first real run on Thursday to test it out. I have a Friday appt too where we can re-evaluate the calf. I'm feeling very positive after tonight's workout, which felt like I was in heaven. Yes, I missed real cardio THAT much! I did an hour at my normal level (12) on the elliptical and no issues at all. I did an hour on the new stationary bikes at LifeTime and that went super too. As I write this, I have no pain or even soreness in either leg. They have me doing strengthening exercises already so we can work on preventing any future injuries, and I can see where my past training was most deficient - strength training. It only makes sense that stronger muscles can perform better over longer periods of time. The calf tears make perfect sense to me now. My cycling just was not engaging and building those muscles. My quads and hamstrings are pretty powerful, but not the calves and ankles.

Listening to Eminem, seeing a chiropractor, admitting I'm not perfect....wow what's next? I'm proof today that you CAN teach a old dog new tricks!

Like balancing while taking a dump!